Friday, May 10, 2013

Be That Friend

When I was a relatively new mom--my first child was four and I was expecting our second--I picked up my son from a friend who had watched him while I'd been at the doctor. I thanked my friend and in just the few minutes I spent at her doorstep, she said some kind things about my son. Then she said some kind things about me, about me as a mother. It was a short, simple exchange but I remember it having an unexpected effect on me. Of course I felt encouraged. My son's life had been, in a word, complicated. He'd already endured numerous surgeries and required medications. I often wondered if I was doing anything right. She was the mother of six and if she observed anything praiseworthy in my mothering, I wasn't going to argue.

But the other result of her doorstep kindness was her example of seeing the good. I'm sure my faults were just as easy for her to observe, but she never mentioned those. Instead she cheerfully sent me on my way with a compliment on my mothering ability. How many friends do that?

This Mother's Day, be that friend.

Day 5

Call a friend and recognize her efforts as a mother. Point out what qualities you admire in her or how her example has helped you. Give encouragement to a a mother who might be facing a difficult time.

No comments:

Post a Comment